This week overall has been positive. My parents came to visit which was nice, and as always, finding a place to eat was a challenge. We went to Bahama Breeze one night where I got some ahi tuna and broccoli and then IHOP for another meal so I could get eggs. The eggs were pretty gross and drenched in oil. But, even with that in mind, I'm down almost a lb since Monday, which is comforting.
I think the hardest part about training right now is not exercise. I wake up at 6:15 daily and just go to the gym. I'm over the point where I try to justify myself not going for five minutes and then get out of bed. I'm more in the suck it up and deal with it phase. Also, going to the gym is kind of fun. I like trying to beat my distances and amount of lbs I lift, so that's not the issue. I've also started drinking Xtend amino acids which, when mixed with crystal light, make my water taste like jolly ranchers. You wouldn't believe how much they help get through work outs.
I also don't think the diet is hard. I make all my chicken on the weekend and then just have to weigh it and put it in my plastic to go containers. I keep a bag of broccoli at work. I am now at the point where I can make my chicken taste good and not disgusting (Iwhen you can't put oil on anything it makes it hard). The low fat days are great because I can eat 20-25 almonds on my second meal. It's really simple and I am all for simplicity at this point.
So, what is hard? The hardest thing right now is that there is just nothing to snack on except broccoli. Literally nothing, and it's not like I can even go to another vegetable, it's just broccoli, all the time.
There are some positives. First, broccoli at costco is cheap (about $4-$5 for a big bag). Second, I'm at the point where I just eat broccoli raw because I tend to overcook it and soggy broccoli makes me want to gag. Third, I get comments about "how healthy I am" when I have a bag at my desk (actually that might be a negative and is becoming increasingly more annoying).
But there are negatives. First, I really don't like broccoli. I think it tastes disgusting. Second, it makes your breath smell really bad. Third, when there is nothing else to snack on except broccoli, you start contemplating why you are even alive. Ok, I realize that's a bit dramatic, but no one understand what's it's like to have no variety in your food unless you've done body building training yourself (eggs, oatmeal, broccoli, chicken, ground beef, and almonds on loop for 10 weeks).
I guess you have to put everything into perspective sometimes and realize what's really important. Is that piece of chocolate worth ruining the past 10 weeks of training for? Maybe. Sometimes I feel like, how harmful could a small piece of chocolate actually be? But the reality is since I'm not used to eating that much sugar, it'll probably raise my blood sugar by a lot, which causes other problems.
The diet itself would be so much more sustainable if there was just a tad more variety. Like if instead of broccoli, green beans are ok, or maybe even green peppers, but it's not. Training diets are very specific and particular for a reason. each of the nutrients that you put into your body has a purpose. It's as if I'm retraining my body to use food for fuel now instead of using food for comfort. At this point food is just something that gets me through the day, it's nothing that I can really look forward to (except my 20-25 almonds every other day).
I'm not sure how I feel about that exactly. Last year when I lost weight and did some sort of similar diet it was more tolerable because I would occassionally go out and get a salad from Qdoba or Moes, or whatever, but now there's no substitutions. Last year I would eat an english muffin or even turkey bacon with dinner, now you can't even do that.
Is it worth it? You know what, it is. And it proved a big point to myself. If you stick with a diet and don't cheat you can lose weight. It's incredible how I coined myself someone who could just not lose weight, but the only reason I couldn't was because I didn't understand self control when it comes to food.
Apologies for the ramblings, but I needed to get it out of my system. I think the next few weeks are going to be hard. What's keeping me going at this point are the drastic results. My arms have literally the tiniest bit of flab left, the rest is solid muscle. I would even venture so far as to say that I could wear sleeveless clothes. Yesterday I went to the gym in shorts. I can't fit into any of my clothes any more. So the goods do outweigh the bads, sometimes you just need to vent and feel sorry for yourself.
I think the hardest part about training right now is not exercise. I wake up at 6:15 daily and just go to the gym. I'm over the point where I try to justify myself not going for five minutes and then get out of bed. I'm more in the suck it up and deal with it phase. Also, going to the gym is kind of fun. I like trying to beat my distances and amount of lbs I lift, so that's not the issue. I've also started drinking Xtend amino acids which, when mixed with crystal light, make my water taste like jolly ranchers. You wouldn't believe how much they help get through work outs.
I also don't think the diet is hard. I make all my chicken on the weekend and then just have to weigh it and put it in my plastic to go containers. I keep a bag of broccoli at work. I am now at the point where I can make my chicken taste good and not disgusting (Iwhen you can't put oil on anything it makes it hard). The low fat days are great because I can eat 20-25 almonds on my second meal. It's really simple and I am all for simplicity at this point.
So, what is hard? The hardest thing right now is that there is just nothing to snack on except broccoli. Literally nothing, and it's not like I can even go to another vegetable, it's just broccoli, all the time.
There are some positives. First, broccoli at costco is cheap (about $4-$5 for a big bag). Second, I'm at the point where I just eat broccoli raw because I tend to overcook it and soggy broccoli makes me want to gag. Third, I get comments about "how healthy I am" when I have a bag at my desk (actually that might be a negative and is becoming increasingly more annoying).
But there are negatives. First, I really don't like broccoli. I think it tastes disgusting. Second, it makes your breath smell really bad. Third, when there is nothing else to snack on except broccoli, you start contemplating why you are even alive. Ok, I realize that's a bit dramatic, but no one understand what's it's like to have no variety in your food unless you've done body building training yourself (eggs, oatmeal, broccoli, chicken, ground beef, and almonds on loop for 10 weeks).
I guess you have to put everything into perspective sometimes and realize what's really important. Is that piece of chocolate worth ruining the past 10 weeks of training for? Maybe. Sometimes I feel like, how harmful could a small piece of chocolate actually be? But the reality is since I'm not used to eating that much sugar, it'll probably raise my blood sugar by a lot, which causes other problems.
The diet itself would be so much more sustainable if there was just a tad more variety. Like if instead of broccoli, green beans are ok, or maybe even green peppers, but it's not. Training diets are very specific and particular for a reason. each of the nutrients that you put into your body has a purpose. It's as if I'm retraining my body to use food for fuel now instead of using food for comfort. At this point food is just something that gets me through the day, it's nothing that I can really look forward to (except my 20-25 almonds every other day).
I'm not sure how I feel about that exactly. Last year when I lost weight and did some sort of similar diet it was more tolerable because I would occassionally go out and get a salad from Qdoba or Moes, or whatever, but now there's no substitutions. Last year I would eat an english muffin or even turkey bacon with dinner, now you can't even do that.
Is it worth it? You know what, it is. And it proved a big point to myself. If you stick with a diet and don't cheat you can lose weight. It's incredible how I coined myself someone who could just not lose weight, but the only reason I couldn't was because I didn't understand self control when it comes to food.
Apologies for the ramblings, but I needed to get it out of my system. I think the next few weeks are going to be hard. What's keeping me going at this point are the drastic results. My arms have literally the tiniest bit of flab left, the rest is solid muscle. I would even venture so far as to say that I could wear sleeveless clothes. Yesterday I went to the gym in shorts. I can't fit into any of my clothes any more. So the goods do outweigh the bads, sometimes you just need to vent and feel sorry for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment